You may have heard of collagen when referring to skin and aging. But do you actually know what it is and what it does? Probably not. Not only does this protein aid in the aging process, but you'd be surprised to learn all of its health benefits and what it can do for you. From increasing the skin's elasticity to reducing joint pain, let the lesson begin.
What is Collagen?
Collagen is a hard, insoluble, and fibrous protein that makes up one-third of the protein in the human body. It is the main component of connective tissues that make up skin, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Collagen is also found in many other body parts, including blood vessels, corneas, and teeth. Our bodies produce collagen naturally, but as we age, our body produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and wrinkles (sigh.)
Typically, the decline begins in your 30's and 40's. That's why collagen is quickly becoming one of the most popular supplements on the market. Several studies have shown that collagen peptides or supplements containing collagen may help slow the aging of your skin by reducing dryness of skin which lessens wrinkles. Yes, please. Adding a collagen supplement to your diet may help replace what your body begins to lack to support your overall health.
There are 28 types of collagens found in the body, but here are the four most common:
- Type I: the most common type, found in all connective tissue
- Type ll: found in joints and intervertebral discs
- Type lll: the main component of reticular fibers found in your skin and blood vessels
- Type lV: a component of your kidneys, inner ear, and eye lens
10 Health Benefits of Collagen Supplements
Collagen supplements work by stimulating your body to produce more on its own. Additionally, collagen supplements may promote the production of other proteins that help structure your skin, including elastin and fibrillin, all things that keep your skin glowing and youthful.
Studies also show that collagen supplements are associated with several other health benefits and very few known risks. Collagen supplements may prevent bone loss, increase muscle mass, relieve joint pain, and improve skin health by reducing dryness. But this wonder protein does many other things, as listed below.
- Improves skin health: Collagen is a significant component of your skin. It aids in strengthening skin, elasticity, and hydration.
- May relieve joint aches & pain: Collagen helps maintain the integrity of your cartilage, the rubber-like tissue that protects your joints to reduce osteoarthritis pain.
- May prevent bone loss: Just as the collagen in your body deteriorates with age, so does bone mass. Collagen supplements may help inhibit the bone breakdown that leads to osteoporosis.
- May boost muscle mass: Studies have shown that collagen supplements may promote the synthesis of muscle proteins, such as creatine, and stimulate muscle growth after exercise.
- May promote heart health: Collagen provides structure to your arteries and the blood vessels that carry blood from your heart to the rest of your body.
- Hair and nails: Taking collagen will increase the strength of your nails and hair and may help them grow longer without breakage.
- Brain health: No studies have examined the role of collagen supplements in brain health, but some people claim that they improve mood and reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Weight loss: Collagen supplements may promote weight loss and a faster metabolism in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle and diet.
- Promotes gut health: Whether a myth or fact, studies have shown that adding collagen to your diet may aid in digestive-related conditions like IBS.
- May reduce anxiety: Some studies show that Glycine found in collagen supplements is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, which calms the brain.
Collagen peptides are the building blocks needed to make new collagen. When we take a daily collagen supplement, we restore collagen levels in the body. It usually takes at least eight weeks of supplementing with collagen daily before noticing the benefits.
How Do I Choose the Right Collagen Supplement?
Although collagen can be found in foods like gelatin, chicken, or pork skin, it also comes in a powder form or capsule. The types of collagens found in supplements vary — some contain one or two types, while others contain up to five. Choosing the right collagen supplement can be overwhelming; that's why Checkable Medical took the guesswork out for you. Our team of experts formulated the perfect blend of Type I, II, III, V, and X collagen proteins to deliver a full range of collagen. Find out for yourself just how good you can look and feel at any age with Checkable's Glow & Grow Collagen Supplement!
The Bottom Line
By adding a collagen supplement to your wellness routine, you provide your body with an extra boost of collagen so that it maintains a healthy level. Whether you care about fine lines and wrinkles or the health of your bones, muscle, and joints, there is no doubt adding a collagen supplement to your diet may be a beneficial way to boost your health at any age.
Life is too short to sit in a doctor’s office
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get valuable healthcare tips and tricks in your inbox!
Sign up now and unsubscribe anytime.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.