Let's face it. Life is hard. Especially just coming out of the other side of a global pandemic. Every person has stress triggers at some point, which may appear in different forms that can contribute to physical and mental illness. Along with a healthy lifestyle, a good diet, exercise, and sleep, we all could use a healthy dose of happiness. Let me introduce you to ashwagandha.
Ashwhat? Yes, it's hard to say, but luckily you don't have to. You can just call it your new happy pill that offers a cure from head to toe. Although it has been around for centuries, it has recently gained attention across the US as an herbal alternative to Western medicine. Think Ginseng on steroids. Pronounced aash·wuh·gaan·duh, research shows that it can ease your stress and anxiety, improve brain function, and promotes more restful sleep. But before we go into all of the health benefits of Ashwagandha, let's find out what it is.
What is Ashwagandha, and Where Does It Come From?
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), is an evergreen plant with yellow flowers found in India, Africa, and the Middle East. Also known as "Indian Winter cherry" or Indian Ginseng," Ashwagandha has been used in Ayurvedic medicine (the traditional system of medicine in India) to decrease anxiety, increase energy, and improve overall health. This non-toxic medicinal herb has healing properties when digested. Although it's best known for relieving stress, it is also used to treat various conditions, such as rheumatism and insomnia. Its name alone is Sanskrit for "smell of the horse," which refers to the herb's scent and potential to increase strength.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Now that we know what ashwagandha is and where it came from, here are some of the best uses and advantages of adding this supplement to your diet.
- Helps reduce stress and anxiety: It aids in normalizing cortisol levels in the body when stress causes them to dip.
- Reduces inflammation: Studies show that ashwagandha contains compounds with anti-inflammatory and rejuvenating properties.
- Improves athletic performance: Research showed it could boost endurance and significantly enhance maximum oxygen consumption (VO2 max) in healthy adults and athletes.
- Helps regulate mood: It can reduce symptoms of some mental health conditions, including depression, anxiety, and ADHD increasing serotonin levels which brings calmness and focus.
- Sharpens focus and memory: Studies have found that ashwagandha helps improve cognition, memory, and overall brain function.
- Supports immunity: Ashwagandha has immune-boosting effects on our immune system. It has been shown to encourage anti-inflammatory and disease-fighting immune cells that help to ward off illness.
- Improves sexual function in women: Studies revealed significant improvements in arousal, lubrication, orgasm, and sexual satisfaction.
- Boosts testosterone in men: Studies also revealed that testosterone levels in men rose when taking ashwagandha.
- Reduce blood sugar levels: Withaferin A (WA), a compound found in ashwagandha, has shown powerful anti-diabetic properties that may help stimulate cells to take in glucose from your bloodstream.
- Improves sleep: Recent evidence showed that ashwagandha was an effective natural way to improve sleep, especially for those with insomnia.
Check out Checkable's Stress Less Ashwagandha supplements for the perfect daily dose of this wonder plant. Our proprietary blend, ashwagandha + black pepper, aids in stress relief, supports focus, and improves immunity health. We use a combination of the most effective ingredients available, including 1300 mg of natural organic ashwagandha root and 10 mg of organic black pepper (which helps the body absorb and get the full effect of the ashwagandha). Take two (2) capsules once a day with food or as directed by your healthcare professional as a dietary supplement.
Life is too short to sit in a doctor’s office
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get valuable healthcare tips and tricks in your inbox!
Sign up now and unsubscribe anytime.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.