Blast that Yeast FastCheckable Health
There's no doubt that a yeast infection can cause quite a disturbance in your life. Though more inconvenient than anything else, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that over 3.6 million healthcare visits in the US result from yeast infections annually. That's why we have curated a list of things to try to quickly battle this pesky condition. Since all bodies are different, some tips may work, and some may not, so it might be worth trying them all.
Vaginal yeast infection, or vaginal candidiasis, is a fungal infection on the vagina and the vulva that causes a thick, curd-like discharge and can be intensely itchy.
Symptoms of a yeast infection may include:
- thick, white, "cottage cheese-like" vaginal discharge
- redness and swelling around the vaginal opening
- pain, soreness, and itching of the vulva
- burning during urination
- burning during sex
If any of those look familiar, you probably want to cure it fast.
How to Treat a Yeast Infection in 24 Hours
Yeast infections can be treated quickly with both over-the-counter creams and prescription medications, which will work to relieve symptoms in as little as 24 hours. Anti-fungal creams are available at most pharmacies, while prescription drugs come in the form of both antifungal creams and pills. If you really want the quickest option, try asking your PCP or gynecologist to call in a prescription for Fluconazole, the generic form of Diflucan, a single oral pill that treats yeast infections. It usually takes a day or two to begin working, but it is extremely effective at relieving symptoms immediately if used together with topical creams. Two creams, butoconazole and terconazole, are also available by prescription but may be pricey if insurance doesn’t cover it. However, butoconazole will kill that yeast in a day!
Popular over-the-counter antifungal creams, like Monistat, are available in single-day, three-day, and seven-day dosages and are available at most pharmacies. In addition to prescription medications and OTC creams, there are some natural remedies to help cure yeast infections. Though they may take a bit longer than 24 hours, they are easy to do and less expensive.
- Boric acid suppositories: Boric acid helps promote the proper acid balance in the vagina by killing the yeast.
- Probiotics: Probiotics contain "good" bacteria to support your gut and vaginal microbiomes. You can take a daily probiotic supplement or eat a nutrient-rich diet focusing on gut-friendly foods like yogurt, kefir, kimchi, kombucha, and raw sauerkraut.
- Apple cider vinegar supplements: Because ACV is acidic and has antimicrobial effects, it may help with vaginal symptoms. We suggest Checkable's Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies. You can also try apple cider vinegar baths to combat candidiasis. Add one-half cup of apple cider vinegar to a lukewarm bath and soak at least your lower half for about 20 minutes.
- Avoid sex: Not forever, just until your infection is gone. Sex can cause bacteria to enter the vagina, which can delay recovery. If you must, use a condom.
Life is too short to sit in a doctor’s office
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get valuable healthcare tips and tricks in your inbox!
Sign up now and unsubscribe anytime.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.