According to the CDC, most adults need at least 7 hours of sleep each night. However, more than 1 in 3 American adults say they don’t get the recommended amount of sleep. Sure, you may not get the right amount of sleep every night of your life, but not getting enough sleep consistently can lead to serious health problems. Adults who sleep fewer than 7 hours each night are likelier to say they have had health problems, including heart attack, asthma, and depression.
A lack of sleep can make you cranky the next day, and overtime skipping on sleep can mess up more than just your morning moods. Studies show getting quality sleep regularly can help improve all sorts of issues, from blood sugar to your workouts. This comes as no surprise as there is an increased risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke with prolonged lack of sleep. Sleep not only feels good and helps you stay active throughout the day, but it also provides time for your body to work on important tasks at hand. Sleep deprivation can put you at risk, which is why it’s essential for your health that you protect your sleep daily. You deserve to be well rested, after all.
Top 4 reasons why you should get more sleep:
- May help maintain or lose weight: Are you hitting the gym but only getting 5 hours of sleep? Then wondering why you haven’t seen any progress. Well, it’s because you are neglecting sleep. Lack of sleep can lead to unhealthy weight gain. This is especially true for children and adolescents, who need more sleep than adults. Not getting enough sleep may affect a part of the brain that controls hunger. Not getting a well-rested night of sleep may also make you feel unmotivated to do physical activity. So, getting enough sleep may just be what you need to maintain your weight and take your performance to the next level!
- Spark creativity: Are you a writer, a painter, or even a business owner? Getting the right amount of sleep may result in stronger creativity levels. Researchers at Harvard University and Boston College found that people seem to strengthen the emotional components of a memory during sleep, which may help spur the creative process.
- Reduce stress levels: Sleep allows your mind and body to recover from your days. When you’re sleep deprived, your body releases stress hormones. To make matters worse, a poor night’s sleep can make you feel anxious and even more stressed the next day.
- Lower risk of diseases: According to the CDC, getting adequate rest each night allows the body’s blood pressure to regulate itself. Adults who sleep fewer than 7 hours each night are likelier to say they have had health problems, including heart attack, asthma, and depression. Some of these health problems raise the risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke. These health problems include:
- High blood pressure. During normal sleep, your blood pressure goes down. Having sleep problems means your blood pressure stays higher for a longer period of time. High blood pressure is one of the leading risks of heart disease and stroke. About 75 million Americans – 1 in 3 adults – have high blood pressure.
- Type 2 diabetes: Diabetes is a disease that causes sugar to build up in your blood, a condition that can damage your blood vessels. Some studies show that getting enough good sleep may help people improve blood sugar control.
Sleep is important because it enables our body to repair and care for ourselves throughout the day! Quality sleep is essential to well-being. Put your phone away at least one hour before bed, get the room cool, and add a weighted blanket or a humidifier to get the sleep you deserve. If you are desperate for a good night’s sleep that leaves you feeling as if you slept like a baby (a sleep-trained one, of course!), then melatonin gummies may be the perfect solution for you. Catch some zzz’s by grabbing your own bottle of Checkable Wellness Melatonin Sleep Well Gummies via our website or on Amazon!
Life is too short to sit in a doctor’s office
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get valuable healthcare tips and tricks in your inbox!
Sign up now and unsubscribe anytime.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.